I need something bright, easy and fresh to nourish me through the last slog before the Christmas Season really takes hold and vacation time begins. This is the week for project deadlines at work, exams and papers at university and tests for the young folk in school. It is the last stretch of ‘everyday’ stressors before we trade them in for the green and red wrapped anxiety of the Christmas Season; gift buying, the dreaded wrapping and obligatory tea with distant relatives and old friends.
There simply isn’t the time yet to buckle down in the kitchen with my stack of recipe cards for Christmas baking, or to whip up a complicated dinner. So, I have been living on these lemon artichoke sausage patties with lemon hollandaise sauce and a poached egg. I mean, I’ve made at least 30 of these patties and devoured them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not very exciting, certainty, but delicious and perfect for the busy pre-Christmas bee.
If you have people visiting from out of town, switch it up and invite them for brunch instead of tea or dinner and serve the patties almost as you would Eggs Benedict, on top of a English Muffins or a bed of arugula. I served this to my family a few weeks ago for our customary Sunday get together and it was a huge success; my petite grandmother even asked for seconds!
- 398ml can of artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⅓ cups beef broth
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, ground beef, quinoa, lemon zest, rosemary, salt, pepper and eggs. Shape the meat mixture into patties approximately 3 inches by 1 inch. You should have between 6-8 patties depending on the size you settle on.
- Chill the patties for at least 30 minutes in fridge.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep, large frying pan over medium high heat and add the patties. Brown the patties on each side. Add the beef broth and lemon juice so that the patties are almost completely submerged. Put a lid on the pan and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- If serving with poached eggs, boil a saucepan of water with a dash of white vinegar on the stove and poach the eggs while you prepare the Lemon Hollandaise Sauce.
- Make the sauce immediately before serving. In a blender, mix the egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. In a small sauce pan over low medium heat, melt the butter until it is yellow and frothy. Set the blender to its highest setting and remove a portion of the lid. Slowly add the hot melted butter to the mixture. Turn off the blender and uncover; the sauce should be thick and shiny. Season if needed.
- Assemble the Lemon Artichoke Sausage Patties with the Lemon Hollandaise sauce and serve as desired.